Writing's On The Wall


To anyone who knows me I'm a huge Bond fan. It's a nostalgic trip to my childhood where I religiously watched the films again and again on the telly in the right order, dismissing the parody's and other versions that popped up, but always always singing the themes. I knew and still know all the themes by heart, excluding some that annoyed me more than anything, cough, die another die, cough. When Spectre news started showing up, I was tremendously excited, as Skyfall had been a good one all in all. I was somehow hoping for Adele to show up again, but the news revealed that Sam Smith was going to be the new artist, keeping me quite interested.

The title of the song was also given away, making my brain immediately jump to the exploding pen from GoldenEye and Q's terrible joke. Finally yesterday the song was released and it's - - - not so bad. The last couple of years, Bond songs haven't exactly been something to toot ones horn about with the exception of Skyfall. One wonders how everyone would have reacted if the same lyrics and so-forth remained but a female vocalist sang this song. Sam Smith isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's decidedly not a terrible song - it's just very this era - than a long living theme. Then again, everything else is coloured by nostalgia so it's hard to say if any of the other songs are actually good off the bat. Usually the moment that decides for me whether a Bond theme is good or not, is the intro of the film itself, as there are always some alterations made. The visual representation always affects the song making it either deeper or more shallow.

Despite all my trepidations and quibbles, I've got bits and bobs of the song on my mind, so I don't think it's a miss whatsoever, but I do understand that some are protesting - even calling the song wimpy because it's not portraying the sexed up agent like he should. Then again, ladies and gentlemen, time have changed and being vulnerable is something even James Bond has to be or else he'll become very boring indeed.

Comments

Popular Posts