2024


Hello! It's me!

David asked me why I stopped blogging, however, last time I was also trying to rewatch all of the Bond films. What ended up happening was that You only live twice, which is also named Bond in Japan (in Norway) hit me hard in every place at once. The script was written by Roald Dahl, and you'd think a man famed for writing children books would have written something... I don't know what I expected? Progressive writing. A lack of orientalism? A lack of sexism? In the 60's? In a Bond film? 

I know - extreme wishful thinking. We're currently watching On her majesty's secret service, which feels more coherent. I think that's the biggest problem with You only live twice. There's a massive jump from scene to scene. Sean Connery stares at the woman standing smiling demurely at him from across a hallway, and he literally falls through the floor dropping him like Mario in Peach's Castle. Or another evil ginger woman who he has to do what's right for Englad again, before she immediately tries to fly him to his destination, but also attempts to murder him by setting the small airplane on fire. I'm shook. It reminded me of reading comic books, so, in a sense Roald Dahl having written the script makes all the sense in the world! 

The best thing really about the early Bond films is the music AND the clothes. Everything Tracy wears in OHMSS is brilliant. 

Comments

Popular Posts