Miracle on 34th Street (1994)


Ho ho ho! Oh, where have you been Emilie? Exams - no internet - (grinds teeth) it's been a riot more or less. Luckily I am returning for a brief venture into the frosty holiday that makes people either bitter or jolly, depending on the state of their family and friends, of course, ho ho - - - ho. Let's brush off the grim grinch-like behavior and pretend that Christmas is more than just capitalism disguised in a red coat with a white fur lining (no polar bears were harmed...possibly?).

Kidding aside.

Christmas has almost meant one very important thing, to me - television. The majority of my holidays were always spent marveling over the awesomeness on the screen. Brimming of family films and children friendly comedies. So let me gush over my personal favourites for the next ten days with a countdown!

10. Miracle on 34th Street


 was like a second-grandfather to me (watch Jurassic Park). Consistently having a twinkle in his eye and making me utterly believe the existence of Santa Claus. Who doesn't want to believe? The film is a remake of a classic of course with the same name (back in 1947). Unfortunately as I was born in the late eighties I caught up with Mr Kringle's antics in this nineties adaptation instead.

I love both of the films, but somehow it's 's endearing portrayal as Susan Walker that captures my heart the most. Of course, it might be the association with Matilda and so forth, but she was one of the leading children actresses at the time (also one of the few who haven't had a personal downward spiral as well).

It's an excellent piece about Kris who takes up a job at Cole's (a great shopping centre) and whom creates quite a stir when his credibility is put into question.

The question is, do you believe in Santa Claus?


Memorable Quote: I'm not just a whimsical figure who wears a charming suit and affects a jolly demeanor. You know, I'm a symbol. I'm a symbol of the human ability to be able to suppress the selfish and hateful tendencies that rule the major part of our lives. If you can't believe, if you can't accept anything on faith, then you're doomed for a life dominated by doubt.

Honorable Santa-mention: 


Arthur Christmas (2011) - a cheeky take on how the 'modern Santa' would tackle the seemingly impossible task - with voices like James McAvoy, Jim Broadbent, Hugh Laurie and Bill Nighly. Filled with animated eye-candy and a proper contender to my heart.

Comments

Popular Posts