The Fandom Awakens

i want one, get me one, NOW
I've avoided being too hyped about Star Wars, though I do have some faith left in JJ Abrams who I know is a massive fan of the original three. He might have glossed up the Star Trek franchise a bit too much, and not actually been a fan of it either, which he publicly admitted (though let's not dig up that deep edged wound again), but his heart is at the right place for this one. 

Ever since Disney was announced as the new owner everyone has been wary, but I've rather been giddy. I don't know why I have faith in Disney, maybe it's because they're behind my childhood. And most of the people involved with Disney probably grew up with Star Wars themselves. You see they strike me as the people who've probably been mentally making up stories, or well fan-fiction and just going 'Imagine if Luke-,' and so forth. They are the kind of people you want to have running things. 

Let's be real. 

We need the nostalgia nerds to be dealing with this, because Star Wars is a lot of nostalgia. It's a dangerous thing - nostalgia - as people can easily be disappointed if things don't fit their own thirty year old build up. Then again, anything is probably better than the prequels that killed some hope within the fandom. There are of course those who love them too, and I'm rather glad there are, since considering, the concept isn't bad, but it's the execution that's a bit below the belt (also, cough, acting, then again, cough, script). 

What can we hope for now? A good plot would be one. Even this far we don't really know anything. It's just a few stunning visual glimpses here and there. I have a feeling that there are character's who'll suddenly be etched within our hearts quite quickly. The cast already gives me some goosebumps, and certainly no one was dry eyed with the reveal of Harrison Ford as Han Solo with Chewbacca at his side, during the end of the second teaser trailer.  It's bound to give any of the people doubting - a flicker of some feeling, though of course there will always be those who say 'no'. 

I just hope they've already roughly planned out what the follow-ups and story is really about. That's the only way this will work really. You need a tremendous villain and some wicked cool characters. Chances are it's going to be good, then again it could also be bad. 

However, I've got a good feeling about this. 

Comments

Popular Posts