Goodfellas (1990)

Always have a meal between murder
You'd be surprised at the films I've put off throughout the years expecting them to disappoint due to the massive hype they've collected (boys going 'so cool'). It's no wonder that when it comes to Martin Scorsese I shouldn't really be afraid. This is that film however. 'As far back as I could remember I've always wanted to be a gangster,' - a fantastic opening line, without a doubt really. It's a cheeky film about crime really, about 'good fellas', and it's quite different. Then again after seeing The Wolf of Wall Street I get where the ad-libbing, the quick cutting, the voice over - come from really.

Scorsese knows what he's doing in the newest film of course, but this one has a certain added charm. Perhaps it's Joe Pesci or just the sort of honesty and credibility in it. It's not so slick - it's the nineties - the time where they let people really get dirty. I believe that these people are the real deal. They can go and off somebody, but they can also go and have a meal in-between. It's strangely endearing.

10/10

Comments

Popular Posts