Resolutions 2015

They made them good in 1997
Yes, I am aware I was supposed to make this brilliant 'best Christmas films' list, which would obviously have the classic Die Hard on number one, but chocolate, work and family took place instead. Alas I was a good girl this Christmas. Anyway, I've decided for a really cool resolution this year - 'I'll only watch new films, and not re-watch films'* (*I am allowed to watch a film again if it is with someone else). This resolution has opened up for Crime-January. I'm not only going to be watching who-dun-its of course, though L.A. Confidential certainly falls under that category with a sharp cast, brilliant sets and surprise twists. Bonus is Kevin Spacey, of course, who I crushed on around the time American Beauty came out (yes, I was a peculiar child, though I do still crush). The film is stylish and actually well-worth a watch, since I'm quite certain not many have watched it since. I've not heard so many mentions of this film, which is a pity really, it's terribly good.

I also watched Heat with Robert De Niro and Al Pacino, which was a brilliant sort of drama really. I expected chase and mayhem, which I got, but beneath the surface was a really different angle on criminal versus cop. It was oddly enough more about human relationships than anything, and how important they are, and how easy they are to lose whether or not you're the 'bad' guy or 'good' guy. Brilliantly played and done, so also A+ basically.

Other noteworthy films, which I watched at the end of 2014 was The Imitation Game which was a brilliant film, though I could catch the rather 'Academy-'esque' approaches in the script. Not that it wasn't good, but there are some lines that don't need to be repeated three times to mean something. Benedict Cumberbatch was of course amazing, that's a given, and I look forward (with minor fear) to whatever 'A Christmas Carol' they'll be doing for series fours Christmas Special.

Comments

Popular Posts