Doctor Who: Listen & Time Heist


(Spoilers)

Do you ever talk to yourself? Oh you do? Haven't we all? But are we really ever alone when we do? 'Listen' penned by Steven Moffat made us wonder about these exact things. I of course, talk a great deal to myself (common knowledge to my nearest and dearest), it's a way to clear my head if there's too much cluttering the space, and so it seems, does the Doctor. 'Listen' besides tackling this rather alarming subject, experiences an awkward date between Clara and Danny Pink (the lady killer at her work aka maths teacher). Here's where Moffat being the creator of Coupling comes in handy. He knows how to write people who just don't know how to communicate, and manages to talk themselves into several corners, certainly when they try to be funny (Clara that is, who has a nervous habit I can relate to).

There's something rather different about this episode, but truth be told - every episode of this series has been incredibly different from what I've personally been used to. I think that's a good thing really, but I don't mind change much, otherwise watching Doctor Who itself would be problematic. This is an episode that requires more than one viewing, for it's one to make you think, even if it isn't perfect, there's a certain charm dangling over it. We also do not see the mysterious Missy or any other plot-thread, which is curious really. I suspect the episode's importance with the arch this series will prove itself in the finale, but I'm glad we've gone further into understanding Danny. He's a most interesting character and I'm glad he'll be joining the TARDIS team, whenever that is.


How can you rob a bank if you don't remember why you were going to rob a bank? The episode 'Time Heist' starts off with Clara intending to go on a second date with Danny, they certainly have made progress since we last saw them, bless, and of course, the Doctor throws holes in Clara's plans. She tries to tell him to leave and that's when the TARDIS's phone goes off, leaving the pair of them bewildered, and her warning him not to answer it (because then a thing will happen). The instant he does they wake up around a table, memory worms in hand with two other people - or - well - an android and a mutant shape-shifter. They are suddenly facing a video with someone calling themselves The Architect who tells them to rob the most secure bank in the universe. And we're all bewildered, but are then faced with a fun sort of space Ocean's Four (can't say Eleven now, can I?).

There's some negative aspects of course, those little quibbles I'd rather not think too much over, since the thing that frustrated me the most was the fact that they had Keeley Hawes, but she wasn't used properly if you ignore her sort of - red lipsticked semi-villain chick with heels. It's a bit overused on the show already, I'm afraid, and it would have been more interesting if they'd done it differently. She's such a fantastic actress and her being underused is like the one time they had Bill Bailey on the show (ugh, I hate reminding myself of that mo).

Despite some of the wonkiness, the episodes are a delight, even in re-watching, which is something I've done a lot this series for some odd reason. There's a lot you miss out on, and it's funny to observe. I suppose the want stems from just there being a certain new energy over things. Capaldi's just taken over after all, he's energetic, silly, a bit cross and not-a-hugger, but there's just something very Doctor over the man despite a part of me going 'Can I trust you?' Of course I can, I go in the end - 'You're the Doctor!' Anyway I look forward to next Saturday with a great amount of joy!



Comments

Popular Posts