Wednesday Cry-fest


Technically I do not sit up every Wednesday watching sad movies and weeping openly into my robe like some mental spinster. No, that's just a side-effect to being me I'm afraid (hormones, helter skelter), but today I decided to entertain myself with two summer block busters (no sources just assumptions based on 'tumblr observations') for good measure. One animated film 'dragon is my bff' and another 'teen tear jerker written by John Green'. Two very different films, though technically neither of them are truly aimed at me, being the old recluse that I am, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy coming out of my cavern to see what the youths enjoy.

It amuses me that both are inspired by books, like a lot of film are these days.

First let's ponder over How to train your Dragon 2, which followed the astonishingly popular first dragon animated film from Dreamworks (who sorely needed that at the time). An unexpected winner when it came out, and watching the subsequent sequel made me reel from nostalgia. It's entertaining, amazing, not lacking of charm, but there's just that little spare spark that the first brought forward that this one misses.


This doesn't mean the sequel isn't a wonderful film on its own. The animation is astonishing and I'm glad they've expanded on this universe that is certainly worth diving into. I look forward to the third, though I hope those contemplations that the director had were not truly serious, though considering my luck they were most likely quite 100% true.

And last but not least - The fault in our stars - I spent a week in my summer reading up on everything the author John Green had out, before I got my hands on this, as it had just been released. Oh the sweet misery of that day. The printed word has such an effect on me from time to time, this certainly had, and I can honestly say that so did the film-version with stunning conviction. Unfortunately I cried out most of what I could have said about the film, but let's spare that moment of thorough reflection for another night, instead of post-cry-fest.

Comments

Popular Posts